Hosted by Kiwanis Club of Carefree
Kiwanis Carefree offers multiple Scholarships & Merit awards, the number of which in any category vary from year to year.
We also encourage local home-schooled, charter school and Cactus Shadows High School freshmen, sophomores and juniors who excel in the visual arts field to apply for an Art Enrichment Internship.
Kiwanis Scholarship Winners – Class of 2020
Below are the 25 Kiwanis Carefree Class of 2020 scholarship and merit award recipients:
- 4-Year scholarships (13)
- Art and Humanities Merit (2)
- Athletic Merit (2)
- Foreign Language Merit (3)
- Key Club Merit (1)
- Math Merit (2)
- Science Merit (2)
This internship has been created to encourage local home-schooled, charter school and Cactus Shadows High School freshmen, sophomores and juniors who excel in the visual arts field. Funding for the program has been provided through the generosity of the Kiwanis Club of Carefree.
Up to eight students will be selected each year to take the course of their choice at the nationally renowned Scottsdale Artists’ School, located in downtown Scottsdale. Information about the School can be found on their website: www.scottsdaleartschool.org
- Applicant must be a legal resident of Arizona, and reside within the Cave Creek Unified School District boundaries.
- Applicant will be expected, upon completion of their art course, to give a short talk about their experiences in their class to the Kiwanis Club of Carefree.
- Applicant must be a freshman, sophomore or junior from a CCUSD high school, a local home-schooled student or a local charter school student.
- Students interested in applying for a internship must complete the Student Application, and submit a completed Parental Permission Form and completed Teacher Recommendation Form. The scholarships must be used during the summer months.
Virginia Brooks, an Honorary Member of Kiwanis, is the creator and on-going facilitator of this program. This internship has a successful 20-year relationship with the Scottsdale Artists’ School.
Applications will be available on this website in February, and judging will be completed by March 15th each year.
Xandra Squier, of North Scottsdale, won the Kiwanis Art Internship four times. An extraordinary young painter, she is now studying at the Laguna School of Fine Art and Design, in California.
Shown: Oil painting, done in palette knife.